- India as a country is hot and humid for most of the season and we have a tradition that food should not be wasted or thrown away, so we tend to protect food by keeping it in the refrigerator.
- During the summer season, we tend to eat more of ice creams, drink chilled juices to overcome the hotness. We cannot imagine these flavors without our best friend in the kitchen i.e Refrigerator.
- It can act as life-saving for a thirsty man without discriminating who he is or which class he belongs to.
- How do you choose the best refrigerator becomes a big question as it involves huge investment and it is not an everyday buying item.
- Well, we will help you out with this problem, so let us start with the most important aspects that everyone has to consider before buying a refrigerator.
Type of refrigerator you want to buy:
Depending on the capacity and number of people living in the family, one should select the type of refrigerator they should go for:
Single door refrigerator
- As the name tells there is only one door for the whole refrigerator. The freezer box is the part of big compartment and it is attached to the fridge.
- This refrigerator comes with a capacity of 150 to 250 liters and usually has direct cool technology. This refrigerator is quite cheaper than other types of refrigerator available in the market.
- These refrigerators do not come with a capacity of more than 300 liters, it is good for couples and small families.
- The only drawback of the majority of single door refrigerators is that the freezer tends to accumulate frost and it requires regular manual defrosting.
Double door refrigerator
- In this refrigerators, freezer has a separate compartment at the top in majority of the cases. They are also known as frost-free refrigerators as it automatically defrosts the freezer compartment.
- It comes with a capacity of 240 to 500 liters and good for families of four to five. Most shelves are made of toughened glass shelves and it is energy efficient depending on the BEE rating.
- Some refrigerators have the freezer at the bottom position to avoid bending in order to take vegetables and bring comfort with easy usage.
- It mainly comes with a superior cooling feature to retain the freshness of fruits and vegetables for a longer time. They have separate vegetable and fruit crisper with chill tray for storing dairy products.
Side by side refrigerator
- The capacity of these refrigerators ranges from 500 to 900 liters. It is best suitable for joint families who use freezer more to store non-veg products as it has a higher freezer to fridge ratio compared to a double door refrigerator.
- Comes with frost-free technology with ample space for vegetables. Most compartments have toughened glass shelves to hold heavyweights.
- Few side by side refrigerators has water and ice dispensers for collecting water and ice cubes pretty easily.
- This is another most important point to be considered before buying a particular refrigerator for the house. Measure the space inside the kitchen to ensure there’s enough room.
- It is also important to note that the refrigerator should pass through your doorway, passage, elevator or staircase and all points of entry for easy transporting.
- Check whether there is space to open the refrigerator door fully to 90 degrees. Some refrigerator requires their door to be opened fully to pull vegetable tray outside.
Different technology to be known
Direct cool vs Frost free
Direct cool technology uses natural convection and they usually need to be defrosted periodically.
Frost-free technology uses an electric fan to keep stored food fresh and they do not need to be manually defrosted.
Solar smart technology
- Some smart refrigerators have an advanced compressor that can run on a solar panel to provide uninterrupted cooling.
- It can also operate on home inverters to provide continuous operation during power cuts with certain cooling retention.
Smart connect technology
- It is a technology that helps to connect your refrigerator to home inverter. Every time the power goes off it automatically takes inverter power to run the refrigerator without any manual supervision.
- This technology helps to save electricity and extends the compressor’s life. This feature allows the compressor to work consistently at different speeds by optimizing the power of the compressor unit and delivering the necessary output depending on the cooling load.
BEE Star Rating
- BEE Star rating is the efficiency of refrigerators based on energy consumption. The star rating comes in the form of stars with 5 stars being the most efficient.
- BEE Star rating is given only to the single and double refrigerators as of now.
- Investing in a higher star rated refrigerators can be economical over a long period because of the regular saving in the electricity. Inverter compressors are also energy efficient.
Latest Advanced Features
Anti-fungal removable gasket
- This feature prevents the formation of fungi and bacteria on the door’s gasket and it is easy to remove and clean regularly.
- When you keep different food in the refrigerator they tend to give a different kind of odor, so deodorizer removes odor particles using powerful filters and keeps the air fresh.
Toughened glass shelves
- They are capable of sustaining up to 150-170 kg depending on different refrigerators.
- If you have any problem with your refrigerators, then you can report to the service guy within no time. It transmits data through your phone to the LG service center and trained specialist records the data to analyze the issue providing a fast and effective diagnosis.
Stabilizer free operation
- It does not require external stabilizer and it protects the compressor from voltage fluctuation extending the life of your refrigerators.
- If your running out of space then some models will allow you to use freezer space as a fridge. Some refrigerators have electronic display on the door to provide an option for converting the freezer to fridge zone.
Water & Ice dispensers
- This feature can be seen on most of the side by side door refrigerators. Water dispenser on the front can serve hot or cold water. But it requires a continuous supply of water.
- Ice dispensers top-ups your drink with ice right from the door.